Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Realizations and personal milestones

12 years ago I lost a significant amount of weight using a very popular diet/weight-loss program.  When I moved to Washington State I took a job working for them, and worked there for over 10 years.  I worked there because I believed in the program.  I believed that by watching what I ate, I'd keep that weight off.  I knew I needed to exercise, and I did.  
But here's the thing, after all that time I found myself becoming increasingly more frustrated.  During this time I developed the hand problems that ultimately lead me to discover the joy of strength training. 
Yes, you read that write, I said joy.
As writers, we spend way too much time sitting around with our computers.  Heck, as I type this I'm sitting on my couch with my laptop.  If we're lucky we get up and go for a walk, or maybe hit the elliptical a few times a week.  And I, like many writers, was frustrated. I was so frustrated that weight was coming back on, that I was eating what I was supposed to be eating but not losing weight.  I was exercising 4-5 days a week and not feeling any better about myself.
Then I realized something.  I was lifting more weight than I had every lifted before.  Without pain!  I had a routine of cardio and strength training, and I wasn't skipping just to go out with friends.  I was putting ME first for once. 
And it felt good.  
As of this week I am now able to lift 15 lbs. on a bicep curl...that's up from 5 lbs. (on a good day) last spring.  The fact that I'm lifting 15 lbs. just blows my mind!  I was telling everyone I saw about it, that's how good it felt. 
There's another realization that came with all this, though.  I can do anything if I give it enough time, and enough energy.  I can turn my body around.  I can publish a book.  I can make my life exactly what I want it to be.
And that's a pretty powerful feeling.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,

Great blog post! I've recently started lifting weights again and it feels great. Wish I could do a better job with my diet, but you have to start somewhere, right? Keep up the good work and congratulations on lifting 15 lbs. Way to go!

Looking forward to reading more of your blog.
Kristin Noel Fischer

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I think you are awesome.

I've also learned I should never pick a fight with you because you would likely kick my ass.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home