Monday, November 19, 2007

Never thought I'd see the day...

when I couldn't even walk into a synagogue without having to explain myself.
I attended an even tonight at one of the local synagogues. Not only was I stopped at the door by a security guard in full flak gear (is that the right term??), but he wasn't about to let me pass if I gave the wrong answer.
Now, I realize that occasionally I might be what some people consider intimidating...on a bad day. When I'm hungry, tired and have dealt with screaming third graders for 15 hours. But tonight? Tonight I was good. I had good food with good conversation. I was happy, if not a little sleepy after my smashed potatoes. I was looking downright innocent. Still, this guy wasn't about to let me pass.
What is this world coming to when I can't walk into a place of worship without announcing my intentions and waiting for clearance? I'm sure if I'd even attempted to joke with this man, he'd have pulled out the handcuffs without evening giving me a chance to explain.
What a sad state of affairs when people are so scared, they wouldn't dream of keeping a temple open without an armed (and trained) guard around to protect the people within.
*sigh*

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dare I wonder if the potatoes were not the only thing that was slightly smashed? Get some sleep! And remember. Wednesday is the end of it. :~D

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Jill Monroe said...

Had there been some kind of threat earlier? Makes me think they were worried about security.

Sad.

Hope once you were inside you got the message you needed!

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

You let me know if you need me to sing some Hebrew songs to get you in. I've almost got it down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home