Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Hannukah Meme of My Favorite Things

So, I was recently tagged by Christina with the following Holiday Meme.
Instructions: Please share 12 of your favorite Hannukah things (or Christmas if applicable): they can be memories, traditions, songs, presents, beliefs, whatever it is about this season that you love. Send it to others and be sure to link to them so that everyone can enjoy the many variations!
1. Latkes. I enjoy this one time a year (usually), and look forward to them all during November. There's something about fried potato pancakes and applesauce that just make me happy.
2. Gelt. I don't even like chocolate all that much, but there's something about Hannukah gelt (chocolate coins). Maybe it's the challenge of trying to peal off the thin gold colored foil without sacrificing any of the treat. Maybe it's simply the tie to my childhood. I didn't get any chocolate gelt this year, but it's all good.
3. Lighting the menorah. This one is definitely a throwback to childhood. I remember growing up and lighting the menorah with my dad, and then with my papa whenever we were in Florida for the holiday. I love the tradition of it, of knowing that for centuries people have been lighting the menorah and telling the story of Hannukah.
4. Winter break. Okay, technically this one doesn't always coincide with the holiday, but I think it should count. I look forward to some time off during this time of year, every year. Let's face it, it's probably one of the reasons I became a teacher ;)
5. The Hannukah Song by Adam Sandler. Let's be honest here, folks. It's almost the only popular Hannukah song out there that doesn't have to do with a homemade dreidle.

Sadly, after 5 I'm stumped. I think part of it is because Hannukah's not an important holiday. Not really, anyway. Most of the world thinks it is because of the time of year it falls during. In reality, it's a minor holiday, not even a Holy Day. It's the celebration of a miracle, in which a small group of soldiers fought and defeated the Greeks back in the day. They then returned to their temple to re-consecrate it. The oil, enough for one night, burned for eight. In the grand scheme of things, though, the holiday falls pretty far down the list. It's fun, it's festive, but it's not even my favorite. My immediate family will usually gather for a small dinner, but I can't remember anyone in my family ever making a huge deal out of it. It certainly wasn't a cause for gathering the entire family together.
So there you have it...my top 5 favorite things about Hannukah. I know, it's supposed to be 12, but you'll have to deal.
As for the rest of you, the following bloggers are up next:
Ms. K.
Ms. C.
Megan
Jill Monroe

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

Have you heard the Barenaked Ladies Hannukah song?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home