Sunday, December 16, 2007

Why writing a series isn't on my current agenda...

At the bookstore the other night to pick up a few last minute gifts, I came across Kinley MacGregor's much anticipated The Warrior. The Warrior is part of her Brotherhood of the Sword series, and Lochlan's story. Fans of the series have been waiting...and waiting...and waiting...and, well, you get the picture. So I found out the book was released (I thought it was still a month off. Goes to show how much attention I pay), and snapped up a copy on my way to the checkout.
So I did what any good bibliophile does when they come across a book by their favorite author...I set aside my towering pile of TBRs and I dug in. And I quickly discovered the problem with long series, especially series where the books come out years apart from one another (and I do think it's been a year since the last one). I discovered that...
I don't remember a freaking thing about the books.
Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. I remember a few character names. And I vaguely remember one of the underlying stories. And I know I've seen that character mentioned before. Didn't he have a book already? But for all intents and purposes, I can't remember anything about this family. Which leaves me in a state where I'm enjoying the book for what it is, but I'm annoyed as heck because I know I should have this information somewhere in the dusty corners of my mind.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why writing a series is a little further down my list right now. I have a hard enough time remembering my characters and plot for one book at a time, let alone a whole slew of books. I've done the sequel thing, but that didn't go far. I'm sure at some point in my career I'll stumble upon a group of characters all waiting to have their stories told. And at that point I'll happily sit down and write them all.
But for now? I'll just read the series, and enjoy what others can create.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home