Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I promised you wedding expo...

And gosh darnit, I'm going to give you wedding expo!
First off, let me make one thing clear...this is not my wedding. I'm a bridesmaid which means I get to participate in all sorts of new activities...like cake tasting, dress shopping and flower picking. Well, not literally...though almost all of these activities were available to me Saturday morning. So up and down the aisles we trolled, talking to vendors and generally feeling lost and overwhelmed. I do have a business idea, for anyone who would like to take it. Pins. One says, "I'm the bride, and this is my wedding date." The other says, "I'm a bridesmaid, I have no answers."
Most of the other visitors were fairly nice. No screaming over the crowd, "That's my cake you, b**ch!" or anything like that. Instead, we were all very civil. We flipped through wedding photos and listened to DJs try to explain their rates. We contemplated the difficulty of bringing in a dueling piano pair, and if they would blow R's budget.
Amidst it all my friend from back home called, which definitely changed the mood. Though just for you, I'll share the humor from this situation. First off, where else could you be sitting in the middle of hundreds of bridal decorations, dresses and cakes, and have a stranger shove tissue into your hand? Second, where else will you have a family member on demand, while you are out shopping for another person's wedding? About the time my friend left her message, Lil' Sis left another one yelling at me for not letting her know I'd be there. Yes, she was around the corner, trying to sell her little heart out. Okay, maybe that part is a little less funny, but it struck me as amusing...so you'll just have to deal.
As far as my experience? I'm tempted to elope when my turn comes, though I'm pretty sure Mom would cut off my arm if I try. I also did quite a bit of "research" for my next book, which involves weddings, Hawaii, and a whole slew of other things as yet undiscovered. I found a company who could do a book release party, when the time comes. I found interesting reminders for all those little details.
And I found out that spending the morning at a wedding show when you are single and your last date was *mmph* months ago is not nearly as painful as one would think.
No, really! It's not.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I've been a bridesmaid 9 times. Maid of honor 4. I'm a pro. My advice- drink heavily.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home