Thursday, June 12, 2008

Is that a...goat?

The other day I met my friend R to visit one of the malls down in the South End. The mall is far enough away that you don't want to take two separate cars...at least, not if you can help it. Especially with gas prices the way they are. So we agreed to meet at a local Park and Ride. Only, as I drove by one entrance, I noticed some odd plastic fencing next to some relatively new condos. Even weirder, I could have sworn I saw goats in the middle of that fencing. So when I turned around to go back to the other end of the P&R, I almost caused an accident stopping in the middle of the road.
There, in the middle of the plastic enclosure, were goats happily munching on the wild vegetation surrounding them. This wasn't just one or two goats. No, we're talking closer to 20 goats and kids munching away.
I've never seen the like before. Apparently in this neck of the woods you can hire a landscaping company that uses goats instead of lawn mowers/clippers to take care of hard to reach, hard to manage, landscaping areas. Of course, upon seeing this my first thought was how do they keep the goats in that little area? What's to keep them from running out into the middle of the road? The fence isn't that high, and as several goats demonstrated, they can stand very nicely on their hind legs when they want to. So why weren't the running around, trying to get to the greenery on the other side of the road? You know, the kind with fewer thorns to stick their tongues. Seemed like the logical option to me.
Of course, this also goes to prove my friend Allison's point. She calls where I live the land of the granola people. Considering we're apparently the kind of people who use goats to mow our lawns, she may be on to something.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home