Friday, July 18, 2008

Oh, but I couldn't...

I am a compulsive book buyer.
There, I admit it. Of course, most of you out there reading this blog are also compulsive book buyers, so I know I'm not alone in the world.
But do you have a mother like mine? My mom enjoys reading. She's not the type to re-read a book, so she often gets hers from the library (or Costco because they're on discount). We have very different taste in books, but every once in a while she'll borrow one from me. This is where life gets weird. See, I love to loan out my books. I want them back, don't get me wrong, but I'm happy to share the love. As a matter of fact, if I can get another reader excited about a series that I enjoy? It's like the heavens open up and a choir of angels begin to sing.
When I come across a book I believe she'll like, I make sure to share. I do so almost without thinking. I don't notice if it's a hardcover or soft cover. If the spine is broken or not. I don't usually even worry about how long she has it.
But mom does. She worries about all of it. Apparently I take such good care of my books, I've given her a complex. As much as she enjoys borrowing certain books, she gets very nervous...and has almost turned and given them right back a time or to.
Don't even get me started on the signed copies.
You'd think I loaned her the Hope Diamond. Or perhaps the Queen of England's Crowned Jewels. I don't understand her either. I've never yelled at anyone for returning a book in a condition other than the way it left me. I think the most I've said on the subject is, "It's a signed copy, so I'd eventually like it back." Her nerves confuse me.
What about you? Do you loan out books? Do you borrow books? Why or why not?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

I like to loan them to people I know will love and appreciate them....you know who you are. ;-)

Shannon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home