Thursday, February 12, 2009

Taking a moment...

So, the other day I decided to finally clean up my home desk and file away some of the many papers that have piled up in the last few months. I go through the process about 4 times a year, which isn't nearly enough, but it's all I can handle. I'd apparently forgotten to file away some of my more recent rejection letters, so that became the first order of business.

And yes, I keep them. Every. Single. One. I figure one day I'll get one welcoming me, instead of rejecting me, and then I'll want to be able to look back on how far I've come. I'm very good at not letting these rejections get to me. Okay, mostly good. Every so often one sneaks in at a vulnerable moment.

And still I keep them.

Today, while filing a few more recent ones, I decided to look back through my collection. Just to remind myself how far I've come.

You know what? I've come a long way. Sure, none of them were welcome letters, but I saw a theme. I'm a good writer. Maybe some agents don't believe I'm great yet, but I've got the start, and I've got the drive, to become even better. That, my friends, is what will get me published down the road.

So sure, I have a stack of rejections. Most writers do. It's how we get better. These rejections are like fuel to the fire. They make me put everything I've got into my story. They make me stronger.

They make me put everything I have into get to "The End."

And one day, I'll get the other letter. The one that says they love my writing, and representing me is their dream come true.

This day will come, and I'll dance in my living room when it does. Until then? I'll keep on writing.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home