Thursday, February 19, 2009

Valentine's and a contest...

As a romance writer, I feel it's my job to support all romance-oriented holidays. How can I not enjoy a holiday that's all about the Love?
A good friend pointed out to me that as a child, her father was vehemently opposed to celebrating Valentine's Day, as it is a "Christian/Catholic" holiday (St. Valentine anyone?). Being as they, too, are Jewish he didn't go for it.
This has never been a problem for me, mostly because of the commercialization of the holiday. Let's face it, folks. It's become all about the Hallmark card. The funny thing? I couldn't care less about the gift giving aspect. I just love the idea of an entire day devoted to the very thing I'm basing my writing career on...love. Of course, as little as I care about the gift, I do love the card (and I got a wonderful one this year).
So, in honor of Valentine's Day (even if it's a little late), I'm holding a contest. Entering is easy. Just leave a note in the comments section by Sunday at 5pm and you're automatically entered to win a copy of Gerri Russell's Warrior's Lady, the last in her Stones series.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Genella deGrey said...

Some guys aren't good at the gift thing no matter what time of year it is - some are totally on the ball.

It must go way back somewhere in my karma that I get the guys who missed the gift-giving boat.

LOL!
G.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Ha! My guy is definitely on the boat. He is very thoughtful that way.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

I get the "too commercial" aspect. Of course hubby and I have been married nearly 23 years, so we've had lots of time to say I love you. Every day, in fact. Maybe that's why it doesn't seem any more special when it's said on Valentine's Day.

Now, if I never heard I love you, that might be a different story.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger EmilyBryan said...

My DH is wonderful at showing me he loves me everyday. This year at Valentines, he asked me if I'd like flowers. I said it wasn't necessary.

But he brought me a bouquet of roses anyway. It made me cry. He gave me something I didn't even realize I needed--something lovely and tangible to remind me that he thinks about me when he's not with me.

I'm glad he's man enough to ignore me when I tell him not to give me flowers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home